Ubuntu 24.04 daily and tor tabs crashing immediately

I am testing Ubuntu AMD 64-bit 24.04 daily and I’m having problems with tor it seems.

I have downloaded tor-browser-linux-x86_64-13.0.11, extracted then ran run start-tor-browser.desktop and it immediately goes to “Gah. Your tab just crashed.” with no way it seems to fix the issue.

I then tried the latest development version tor-browser-linux-x86_64-13.5a5.tar.xz which does the same behavior.

I then tried the tor version included in noble repo, as well as the official “mantic” version in tor deb repos and the keyboard does not work for some strange reason.

There is no specific noble version supplied in the official tor deb repo, perhaps this could also be looked at? 24.04 is due out soon.

Using a standard wayland install.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Testing versions of Linux are often just that, for testing. Have you discussed this with other Ubuntu daily users on their mailing lists? (if they have one)

I would not use a daily version or any type of alpha/beta version with Tor, but that’s just me. Is there any reason you’re not using Tails?

:poultry_leg:

This is exactly what was written. As stated 24.04 will be released soon and a hand-full of browsers (and probably other software as well) not distributed by snap are having problems due to AppArmor. So let’s see: Ubuntu is pushing users to snap, Tor is pushing users to use their deb-repositories. More fragmentation and opposing interests, yay…

1 Like

@ LuckyKnight

I saw you gave a thumbs up to atari’s post, but you didn’t answer my questions:

Is there any reason you’re not using Tails?

Have you discussed this with other Ubuntu daily users on their mailing lists? (if they have one)

And why would anyone choose to test/use Ubuntu with the snaps garbage? I’m just curious. There are so many other good choices for distros, especially straight Debian!

@ atari

This is exactly what was written.

Indeed! Coming from someone who used to test alpha/beta software/distributions, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to fret over a moving target rather than just wait for stable and test with that. There are so many changing things especially with daily images, I don’t really see the point of it, unless someone is getting paid to do it.

As stated 24.04 will be released soon and a hand-full of browsers (and probably other software as well) not distributed by snap are having problems due to AppArmor.

Why would anyone in their right mind use Snap anyway? I understand the dilemma. Many repos in different distros usually had outdated versions of Tor/TBB anyway I thought it was always best to go with what’s available at Tor’s website.

So let’s see: Ubuntu is pushing users to snap

So why be a user?

Ubuntu & Mint are (afaik) very popular with people who start using Linux as a desktop. Some of them even might want to use Tor. So it seems to be a good idea to support the Tor/TBB on these systems and a good idea to report this error here: To spare users the hassle and advise them not to upgrade until this issue is fixed.

But for you agenda it seems to be better if those users can’t use Tor/TBB on their installations anymore, get frustrated and default to Tails permanently :wink:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Upgrade to what, though? If someone is testing a daily image of a pending release with no final release and/or RC, what are they being spared from, there’s no final release to upgrade to! :yum:

What installations, there’s no final release for them to upgrade to, yet, when daily versions are being tested.

I didn’t mean to suggest the poster bail to Tails. (Though it is a nice distribution to use. :sunglasses:) I was curious whether or not the poster was using it. Perhaps this was a little too off-topic.

I also recommended the poster look for and use mailing list(s) for Ubuntu, especially for daily testers, should the list(s) exist. I also strongly recommend IRC for daily testers, if you can find the right place for your work.

It’s also very important to keep up to date when you’re a daily tester. One problem with testing dailies is often time the testers may download only one or a few versions, and stop there. Meanwhile, it’s a moving target being a daily and the tester may easily fall behind and thus not be as productive/useful as they could be, and may be reporting things which have already have been fixed, or bugs yet to fix which may or may not have yet been discovered.

I’m sorry if I came down a little too hard about Ubuntu and Snaps. The whole thing just pisses me off and I vented in the wrong place. I’m sorry to the OP, LuckyKnight, for coming on so strong! Atari, thank you for being you. :smiley_cat:

1 Like