[tor-relays] Wrong "first seen" flag for bridges at metrics.torproject.org

Hi together,

I have an issue regarding the "first seen" flag at metrics.torproject.org: It is definitely wrong for my two bridges - both dates are much too close in the past.

For one of the bridges, it seems to correspond to the last signing key renewal, for the other bridge, it seems to correspond to the penultimate signing key renewal.

Has anyone observed similar behavior for its relay? (I found it meaningful to first ask here before creating an issue at [*]).

[*] Issues · Hiro / Onionoo · GitLab

Kind regards,
telekobold

···

Yeah, looks like a bug. My approx. 1 year old bridges are all:
First Seen 2023-06-20

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/ForPrivacyNETbr

I don't care about the date, the only important thing is that they have users
and make traffic :wink:

···

On Montag, 17. Juli 2023 20:12:34 CEST telekobold wrote:

I have an issue regarding the "first seen" flag at
metrics.torproject.org: It is definitely wrong for my two bridges - both
dates are much too close in the past.

Has anyone observed similar behavior for its relay? (I found it
meaningful to first ask here before creating an issue.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!

Hi!

telekobold:

Hi together,

I have an issue regarding the "first seen" flag at metrics.torproject.org: It is definitely wrong for my two bridges - both dates are much too close in the past.

For one of the bridges, it seems to correspond to the last signing key renewal, for the other bridge, it seems to correspond to the penultimate signing key renewal.

Has anyone observed similar behavior for its relay? (I found it meaningful to first ask here before creating an issue at [*]).

[*] Issues · Hiro / Onionoo · GitLab

I think what you see is described in onionoo#40018[1] (even though your `last_restart` date is not older than your `first_seen` one atm): we essentially have a bug how we set `first_seen` for bridges. Or maybe even more than one (which would explain why that date of both of your bridges is different right now).

While we have a good way of reproducing the issue by now (I spent quite some time on that) nobody has come up with a fix for it yet, alas. :frowning:

Georg

[1] Some relays have last_restart attribute older than the first_seen attribute (#40018) · Issues · The Tor Project / Network Health / Metrics / Onionoo · GitLab