[tor-relays] Attempting to create a relay with Orbot

Hi,

I am trying to use Orbot’s “Enable your device to be a non-exit relay” option, but (after waiting enough hours) the relay’s nickname fails to show up in Tor Metrics’ Relay Search. How can I begin to debug this?

1 Like

Starting from a force-stopped Orbot app, if I turn the “Enable your device to be a non-exit relay” setting either on or off, then start Orbot, check.torproject.org works and the logs are identical in both cases. They say nothing about reachability. Does this imply that the setting is not doing anything?

Log paste:
updating settings in Tor service
Updating torrc custom configuration…

Orbot is starting…

Connected to tor control port

Added control port event handler

NOTICE: Bootstrapped 100% (done): Done

WARN: Rejecting SOCKS request for anonymous connection to private address [scrubbed].

The word “scrubbed” is actually in the log (I didn’t manually scrub anything). The warning shows up regardless of whether I try to turn Relaying on or off. check.torproject.org works regardless.

···

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 8:42 PM blueapple128 <blueapple128@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to use Orbot’s “Enable your device to be a non-exit relay” option, but (after waiting enough hours) the relay’s nickname fails to show up in Tor Metrics’ Relay Search. How can I begin to debug this?