For visibility in the broader community, I'm sending the priorities we have for 2022 and specific projects and tasks we are working on for this quarter. There are links where you can read more about the work that different teams at Tor are doing.
If you want to read about long term strategic goals for the Tor project organization, you can go to this wiki page: The Tor Project / Organization · GitLab
# The Tor Project Priorities 2022
The Tor network
Make the Tor network faster for users
Get Arti to production level
Improve bad relay tooling
Support researchers for network experiments
Improve monitoring and alerting for metrics services.
Maintain a healthy relay operators community
Increase adoption of onion services
Trainings and User Research in the global south
Connect with censored users to improve censorship circumvention
Research on Tor Browser new features and VPN concept
Collaborate with other organizations in the Tor ecosystem
New Tor's "VPN" client
Design safety criteria
Define MVP for client
Build the network engine for VPN solution
Evaluate orbot and leap components and architecture
Start working on UI
Implement feedback from users
Improve automatic censorship detection during bootstrap
Enable HTTPS-only mode
Browser is under control (releases on schedule, automated tests pass)
Implement new pluggable transport: Conjure & HTTPT
Deploy improved bridge distribution system
Monitor bridge health
Censorship analysis and response to it
User support tools gets improved
Documentation keep up to date
Improve mail services
Rebuild donate page
Make it easier for translators to contribute
# Tor's TEAMS PRIORITIES FOR Q2
(Led by Richard. Board Development · Boards · Applications · GitLab)
Implement Tor Browser UX changes that UX team is prioritizing from user research and feedback.
Improve automatic censorship detection during bootstrapping in Tor Browser (desktop and Android).
Evaluate orbot and leap for components and architecture.
Design VPN safety criteria.
HTTPS everywhere replacement.
Go/Rust/Java dependency resolution: how to resolve dependencies ahead of time.
Browser: Browser is under control
Android Tor Browser releases are on schedule
Android/Linux Tor Browser Automated tests are passing
Survey the Browser ecosystem
Integration: Begin understanding application integration/embedding
Begin helping Network Team create easy-to-use Arti API
Document required components for Android app integration
- assist network health team to maintain a healthy relay operators community
- assist anti-censorship team on connecting with censored users to improve censorship circumvention
- improve user support tools and documentation
- lead trainings with communities in latinoamerica and east africa
- look for spikes in tor usage and document process and resources available for it.
## Network Health
(Led by Geko. Board Development · Boards · Network Health · GitLab)
- s61 O2.1: Reduce the number of slow and extremely slow sessions for our users by developing and deploying load balancing improvements.
- s61 O4.2: Find and fix performance-impacting issues and bugs discovered from monitoring and scanning.
- Run bad-relay detection scripts
- Bad-relay tooling improvements .
- Fix any sbws critical issues that may come up
- Support for researchers for network experiments
- Consider tickets from other teams
- Support OTF fellow on Relay Operators Community Health Research
- Relay operator meetups.
- Keep moderating and answering the tor-relays mailing list
- Handle EOL relays
- Support mentee from GSoC
- Improve monitoring and alerting for metrics services.
- Deploy a data store for metrics servicesn plan
- Refactor sbws2
- Surprise 'anomaly analysis' on the network as needed
- Think about metrics for the VPN client and their possible privacy issues/risks
- Network anomaly detection: use current monitoring infrastructure to get some of the anomalies we can catch with it.
(Led by Alex. Board Development · Boards · Core · GitLab)
- S30 2.3.3 - Improve ability for bridgedb/authority to test bridges that only expose a pluggable transport.
- S30 2.4.5 - Increase stability and resilience of bridge authority and bridgeDB by exploring and implementing decentralization of those services.
- S61 O1.1: Optimize user-facing performance by tuning parameters of previously deployed Tor network improvements.
- S61 O2: sbws with congestion control (Tor support to pin exits/Sos Rends, or just wait).
- S61 O3.2: Implement promising performance improvements from evaluation in O3.1.
- S61 O4.1: Improve and implement network health monitoring and scanning.
- S96 O3.5: Integrate Tor+Snowflake/obfs4 capabilities into mobile applications.
- S96 O3.5.1 OnionShare, iOS.
- S96 O3.5.2: OnionShare, Android.
- S96 O3.5.3: Save (Share-Archive-Verify-Encrypt) by OpenArchive .
- S101 O3.2: Enhance Tor to act as a VPN service, rather than an opt-in proxy as it does today.
- S119 Arti 1.0.0 - Try to reach "production quality".
(Lead by Meskio. Board Development · Boards · Anti-censorship · GitLab)
- S30 O2.3.1 - Develop new and/or improve existing bridge selection and distribution strategies based on data collected about successful, effective methods per evaluation during O1.1. Conjure/Tapdance implementation
- S96 O1.1.1 Prepare the Snowflake system for a surge in operators and users.
- S96 O1.2: Increase the number of Snowflake bridges.
- S96 O1.3: Implement bridges with pluggable transport HTTPT support.
- S96 O1.4: Increase the number of active obfs4 and HTTPT bridges.
- S96 O2.2: Deploy improved bridge distribution systems.
- S96 Start Salmon based design
- S96 O2.3: React and steer our response to censorship.
- S96 O4.3: Modify GetTor so that it can distribute Tor Browser via messaging apps
- S28 RACE project
- S2125 Automatize bridge rotation for telegram. Continue translations of anti-censorship material into russian.
(Led by Duncan. Board Development · Boards · The Tor Project · GitLab)
Roadmap in Figma
(Led by Anarcat. Board Development · Boards · TPA · GitLab )
It is a collaboration between TPA and Community teams. Board Development · Boards · Web · GitLab
gaba (Tor's project manager)