[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, March 2024

Hi everyone, here is my status report for March 2024.

This month, I continued the rebase on the Firefox Rapid Release channel.
I've arrived on par with mozilla-beta, i.e., I have a branch based on Firefox 125b, and I'm following that channel. I'm trying to rebase my branch onto each beta tag.
I've also fixed the various build and runtime errors, and the branch can be built and used (even though this is seriously discouraged as it hasn't been reviewed and we haven't done our audit work yet).
However, this is quite reassuring because it reduces the uncertainty of our ESR transition work.
I've opened an issue [0] to document this process and all the conflicts I had to merge manually, both trivial and non-trivial.

At a certain point, while working on this task, I implemented a script that act as a helper for our usual rebase review procedures [1].
I'm sure it has a lot of margin for improvement, but it should handle our most common cases.
My idea is to use it also for the script to perform continuous automatic rebases of our branches. I wrote a proof of concept in 30 minutes, but nothing was ready for production and/or publication. Still, I'm very excited by the possibilities of automation we could implement.

Apart from that, I worked on refactoring our TorConnect module [2]. I started it to fix an issue detected by the linter we've had for one year and a half [3]. It was not trivial to fix, and eventually, I ended up reorganizing the whole file, even though the contents haven't changed much.
At the end of the month, I also opened another merge request specifically for error handling [4].
Together, they should hopefully help the further Android developments other apps team members are working on.

Finally, I worked on some issues about fingerprinting vectors and helped with our March releases.

Best,
Pier

[0] Evaluate RR version-by-RR version rebases instead of ESR-to-ESR (#42441) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[1] diff-of-diffs.py ยท main ยท Pier Angelo Vendrame / Lazy Scripts ยท GitLab
[2] Bug 41114: Fix no-async-promise-executor on TorConnect and general refactor (!938) ยท Merge requests ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[3] Fix no-async-promise-executor on TorConnect (#41114) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[4] Bug 42479: Improve TorConnect error handling (!968) ยท Merge requests ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab

ยทยทยท

1 Like