[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, December 2023

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for December 2023.

For most of the month, I kept working on the connection assist for Android.
I wrote some quick styling for about:torconnect to make it appear like the native UI we are still implementing.
I also wrote a gating mechanism Claire used to write an opt-in UI for the latest TBA alpha.
While working on this, I also found that the Onion Location setting wasn't persisted [0], and I wrote a fix.
All this work went into the 13.5a3 alpha. Richard wrote a great blog post [1] with more information about that.

In addition to that, I worked on quicker tasks, such as:
- Preparing the 13.0.7 releases and rebasing the alpha branches.
- Resizing all the wordmarks to the same size to address fingerprintability of nightly vs. alpha [2].
- Enabling GeckoDriver on all desktop platforms and including it in the released artifacts [3].
- Using LLD on all Linux platforms, re-enabling debug symbols for Linux i686 [4], and improving the format of our debug symbol archives [5].
- Use Go 1.20 on Windows to restore Windows 7 compatibility on pluggable transports [6].

Best,
Pier

[0] Onion Location on Android is ignored (#42324) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[1] New Alpha Release: Tor Browser 13.5a3 | The Tor Project
[2] Make all the wordmark of the same size (#42319) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[3] Enable GeckoDriver for all desktop platforms (#42337) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[4] Check and enable debug symbols on Linux i686 again (#42146) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[5] Use the final path for Linux debug symbols (#41046) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
[6] PTs on Tor Browser 13 do not work with Windows 7 (#42179) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

···