[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2024-05-16

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad



Next meeting: Thursday, May 30 16:00 UTC
Facilitator: meskio
^^^(See Facilitator Queue at tail)

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

This week's Facilitator: onyinyang

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.

== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap:
* Roadmap:Development · Boards · Anti-censorship · GitLab
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
* Home · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
* Past meeting notes can be found at:
* The tor-project Archives
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:
* All needs review tickets:
* Merge requests · Anti-censorship · GitLab
* Sponsor 96 <-- meskio, shell, onyinyang, cohosh
* Sponsor 96: Rapid Expansion of Access to the Uncensored Internet through Tor in China, Hong Kong, & Tibet · The Tor Project · GitLab
* Sponsor 150 <-- meskio working on it
* Issues · Anti-censorship · GitLab

== Announcements ==

 \* No meeting May 23, we are at the tormeeting

== Discussion ==

- 0.4.7.x bridges removal (2024-05-16: 500 bridges running EOL): Relay Search

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

 \* https://t.me/s/tor_bridges https://t.me/s/vanilla_bridges
     \* Telegram channels handing out bridges, found at https://ntc.party/t/7701/4
 \* https://github.com/jmwample/ptrs
     \* By Jack Wampler, abstraction for building pluggable transports in Rust, obfs4 implementation, and &quot;lyrebird&quot; multi\-transport binary\.
 \* https://github.com/theodorsm/covert-dtls
     \* covertDTLS is a library inspired by uTLS for offering fingerprint\-resistance features to pion/dtls\.
 \* https://opencollective.com/censorship-circumvention/projects/snowflake-daily-operations
 \* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QVkw7Beqc
     \* onyinyang gave a presentation on snowflake for TechSoup&#39;s Securing the Future panel discussion \(along with FPF, Quiet and EFF\)

== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "Communication Breakdown: Modularizing Application Tunneling for Signaling Around Censorship" on May 30
* PoPETs Proceedings — Communication Breakdown: Modularizing Application Tunneling for Signaling Around Censorship
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==
This week:
- What you worked on this week.
Next week:
- What you are planning to work on next week.
Help with:
- Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): 2024-05-09
Last week:
- Updated dependencies for various projects
- Shadow simulations
- GitHub - cohosh/ptnettools: Extension of tornettools for running Shadow experiments with pluggable transports
- Lox-wasm integration test fixups
- Opened an issue about Lox blockage migration
This week:
- upload new snowflake-webext version 0.8.2 to both Firefox and Chrome web stores
- make changes to Lox encrypted bridge table
- https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/lox/-/merge_requests/147
- follow up on reported SQS errors
- update wasm-bindgen fork to fix some bugs and hopefully upstream changes
- create a Lox test environment and instructions for the browser team
- https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/42503
Needs help with:

dcf: 2024-05-16
Last week:
- snowflake azure cdn bookkeeping https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/Snowflake-costs/diff?version_id=04ae70addf4afdd6a4bbb7622806ff0a12eff14a
- archived snowflake-webextension-0.8.2 Snowflake WebExtension 0.8.2 : The Tor Project : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Next week:
- review snowflake unreliable+unordered data channels rev2 https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/315
- open issue to have snowflake-client log whenever KCPInErrors is nonzero Deploy snowflake-server for QueuePacketConn buffer reuse fix (#40260) (#40262) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- parent: Improve bug discovery process (#40267) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- open issue to disable /debug endpoint on snowflake broker
- move snowflake-02 to new VM
Help with:

meskio: 2023-05-16
Last week:
- add journaling to rdsys persistency so data don't get lost if an unexpected restart (rdsys#201)
- make errors explicit on distributor assignments in rdsys (rdsys#200)
- deploy rdsys backend with persistency on bridge assignments
- investigate problems with renovate (rdsys#202)
Next week:
- tormeeting

Shelikhoo: 2024-05-16
Last Week:
- [Merge Request Waiting] Add Container Image Mirroring from Tor Gitlab to Docker Hub(Add Container Image Mirroring from Tor Gitlab to Docker Hub (!280) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
- [Merge Request] Snowflake Performance Improvement rev2 (https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/315)
- Merge request reviews
Next Week/TODO:
- In person tor event!
- Merge request reviews

onyinyang: 2023-05-16
Last week(s):
- Hyper upgrade and tokio upgrade
- prepared and presented for techsoup panel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QVkw7Beqc
- key rotation implementation
This week:
- key rotation implementation
- begin implementing some preliminary user feedback mechanism to identify bridge blocking based on Vecna's work
Next week:
- FOMO and sadness :frowning:
- improve metrics collection/think about how to show Lox is working/valuable
- sketch out Lox blog post/usage notes for forum

 \(long term things were discussed at the meeting\!\): https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ac-community-azaleas-room-keep
     \- brainstorming grouping strategies for Lox buckets \(of bridges\) and gathering context on how types of bridges are distributed/use in practice
         Question: What makes a bridge usable for a given user, and how can we encode that to best ensure we&#39;re getting the most appropriate resources to people?
             1\. Are there some obvious grouping strategies that we can already consider?
                 e\.g\., by PT, by bandwidth \(lower bandwidth bridges sacrificed to open\-invitation buckets?\), by locale \(to be matched with a requesting user&#39;s geoip or something?\)
             2\. Does it make sense to group 3 bridges/bucket, so trusted users have access to 3 bridges \(and untrusted users have access to 1\)? More? Less?

theodorsm: 2023-05-16
Last weeks:
- Pion dtls have merged my PR for hooking of client hellos, server hellos and certificate request (Add handshake hooking capabilities by theodorsm · Pull Request #631 · pion/dtls · GitHub).
- Quick test with my mimicking library (GitHub - theodorsm/covert-dtls: Fingerprint-resistance module for pion/dtls.) with snowflake: promising results
- Writing for my thesis
Next weeks:
- Add hook to pion/webrtc so it can be used in snowflake.
- Further test and validate mimicked client hello with snowflake.
- Add randomized fingerprint
- Writing my thesis
- Might explore some stateful attacks/fingerprints
Help with:

Facilitator Queue:
onyinyang meskio shelikhoo
1. First available staff in the Facilitator Queue will be the facilitator for the meeting
2. After facilitating the meeting, the facilitator will be moved to the tail of the queue


GPG Fingerprint 3CC3 F8CC E9D0 A92F A108 38EF 156A 6435 430C 2036