[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2024-02-15

Here are our meeting logs:

  #tor-meeting: tor anti-censorship meeting

And our meeting pad:




Next meeting: Thursday, February 22 16:00 UTC
Facilitator: shelikhoo

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

This week's Facilitator: meskio

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.

== Links to Useful documents ==
  * Our anti-censorship roadmap:
    * Roadmap:Development · Boards · Anti-censorship · GitLab
  * The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
    * Home · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
  * Past meeting notes can be found at:
    * The tor-project Archives
  * Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:
    * All needs review tickets:
      * Merge requests · Anti-censorship · GitLab
    * Sponsor 96 <-- meskio, shell, onyinyang, cohosh
      * Sponsor 96: Rapid Expansion of Access to the Uncensored Internet through Tor in China, Hong Kong, & Tibet · The Tor Project · GitLab
    * Sponsor 150 <-- meskio working on it
      * Issues · Anti-censorship · GitLab

== Announcements ==

  * Elections in Indonesia (2024-02-14): OONI Measurement Aggregation Toolkit (MAT)
  * Belarus - General elections (2024-02-25): OONI Measurement Aggregation Toolkit (MAT)
  * Cambodia - Senate election (2024-02-25): OONI Measurement Aggregation Toolkit (MAT)

== Discussion ==

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

  * FOCI registration is open (attendance is free): https://foci.community/register
    * February 19th

== Reading group ==
  * We will discuss "" on
    * Questions to ask and goals to have:
      * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
      * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
      * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
      * Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==
    This week:
      - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
      - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
      - Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): 2024-02-15
  Last week:
      - caught up on manifest v3 updates
          - Draft: Migrate to Manifest v3 (!21) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake WebExtension · GitLab
      - release new version of snowflake addon (0.7.3)
          - updated addon stores
          - updated website
      - opened tor-browser-build MR to get SQS rendezvous in Tor Browser
          - Bug 41079: Bump version of snowflake to v2.9.0 (!913) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
      - fixed shadow integration tests
          - Add integration testing with shadow (!242) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
      - opened an issue for country-specific client rendezvous poll counts
          - Collect metrics for binned counts of client polls per country for each rendezvous method (#40330) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
      - caught up on dependency update backlog
      - mostly caught up on review backlog
  This week:
      - review lox synchronization fix
      - compile a list of next-steps for lox
      - update wasm-bindgen fork to fix some bugs and hopefully upstream changes
      - tor-browser-build updates for lox wasm + bindings generation
      - Conjure bridge maintenance
      - more testing of available domain fronts
  Needs help with:

dcf: 2024-02-15
  Last week:
    - snowflake azure CDN bookkeeping Changes · Snowflake costs · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
  Next week:
    - review draft MR for unreliable data channels Draft: Unreliable+unordered WebRTC data channel transport for Snowflake (!219) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
    - open issue to have snowflake-client log whenever KCPInErrors is nonzero Deploy snowflake-server for QueuePacketConn buffer reuse fix (#40260) (#40262) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
      - parent: Improve bug discovery process (#40267) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
    - open issue to disable /debug endpoint on snowflake broker
    - move snowflake-02 to new VM
Help with:

meskio: 2023-02-15
    Last week:
        - catching up after long vacation
    Next week:
        - react to S96 code audit

Shelikhoo: 2024-02-15
    Last Week:
        - [Merge Request]HTTPS distributors in rdsys: Implement HTTPS distributor in rdsys (!260) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / rdsys · GitLab
        - [Research] Inspect Snowflake Situation In China
        - Merge request reviews
    Next Week/TODO:
        - Inspect Snowflake Situation In China
        - Create Issue for "Merging webtunnel + lyrebird"
        - Update WebTunnel Container Image

onyinyang: 2023-02-15
  Last week(s):
    - Finished up fixing problems with syncing functions
    - Opened ticket to Lox invitation endpoint only accessible via telegram
  This week:
    - redeploy rdsys and lox-distributor with bug fixes and telegram bot
    - improve metrics collection/think about how to show Lox is working/valuable
    - start prep for HACS/DRL meeting
    - sketch out Lox blog post/usage notes for forum
    - attempt hyper upgrade again
  (long term things were discussed at the meeting!): Riseup Pad
    - brainstorming grouping strategies for Lox buckets (of bridges) and gathering context on how types of bridges are distributed/use in practice
      Question: What makes a bridge usable for a given user, and how can we encode that to best ensure we're getting the most appropriate resources to people?
        1. Are there some obvious grouping strategies that we can already consider?
          e.g., by PT, by bandwidth (lower bandwidth bridges sacrificed to open-invitation buckets?), by locale (to be matched with a requesting user's geoip or something?)
        2. Does it make sense to group 3 bridges/bucket, so trusted users have access to 3 bridges (and untrusted users have access to 1)? More? Less?
theodorsm: 2023-01-11
    Last weeks:
      - Currently in the start phase of writing my master thesis (to be finished late june 2024) in communication technology on reducing distinguishability of DTLS. The goal is to implement a validated DTLS anti-fingerprinting library similar to uTLS (useful for Snowflake).
    Next weeks:
      - Talk with Sean DuBois about contributing to adding anti-fingerprinting capabilities to the pion library
    Help with:
      - Find recent data set of captured DTLS traffic

meskio | https://meskio.net/
My contact info: https://meskio.net/crypto.txt
Nos vamos a Croatan.

1 Like