Here are our meeting logs:
And our meeting pad:
Next meeting: Thursday, Sep 21 16:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)
This week's Facilitator: onyinyang
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.
== Links to Useful documents ==
\* Our anti\-censorship roadmap: \* Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards \* The anti\-censorship team's wiki page: \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home \* Past meeting notes can be found at: \* https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/ \* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on: \* All needs review tickets: \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None \* Sponsor 96 <\-\- meskio, shell, onyinyang, cohosh \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24 \* Sponsor 139 <\-\- hackerncoder, irl, joydeep, meskio, emmapeel working on it \* https://pad.riseup.net/p/sponsor139-meeting-pad
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
== Reading group ==
\* We will discuss "" on \* \* Questions to ask and goals to have: \* What aspects of the paper are questionable? \* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work? \* Are there long\-term actions we can take based on this work? \* Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week.
- Something you need help with.
cecylia (cohosh): 2023-09-14
- posted shadow + PT guide on the forum
- Experimenting with Tor pluggable transports in Shadow
- followed up on a report that snowflake is being blocked in russia
- IRC Tip about Signature used to block Snowflake in Russia, 2022-May-16 (#40030) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / censorship-analysis · GitLab
- OONI shows blocking of Snowflake in select ISPs in Russia since 2023-02 - Russia - NTC
- opened issue with OONI for adding probe-engine version filter to MAT
- Filter out test results from old probe-engine versions · Issue #2533 · ooni/probe · GitHub
- filed an upstream issue with conjure on not relying on the replace directive
- Change the import rather than relying on the replace directive for dtls modifications · Issue #226 · refraction-networking/conjure · GitHub
- updated gotapdance library version in Conjure PT to fix a stall issue
- Update gotapdance library to v1.6.8 (!15) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / conjure · GitLab
- worked on deploying lox distributor
- Add lox distributor type with no allocated bridges (#167) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / rdsys · GitLab
- finish deploying lox distributor
- map out next steps for conjure work
- followup on conjure reliability issues
- visualize and write up some snowflake shadow simulation results
Needs help with:
- snowflake CDN bookkeeping Changes · Snowflake costs · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
- revise encapsulation.ReadData redesign to return an error in the case of a short buffer Have encapsulation.ReadData read into a provided buffer (!154) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- open issue to have snowflake-client log whenever KCPInErrors is nonzero Deploy snowflake-server for QueuePacketConn buffer reuse fix (#40260) (#40262) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- parent: Improve bug discovery process (#40267) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- open issue to disable /debug endpoint on snowflake broker
- coordinate with TPA to get a VM for a rdsys staging server
- review lyrebird merge requests
- deploy the rdsys staging server
- [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64) (stalled)
- logcollector alert system
- Add Remote Network Address Mapping in HTTP Upgrade Transport (Draft: Add Remote Network Address Mapping in HTTP Upgrade Transport (!17) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / WebTunnel · GitLab)
- Merge request reviews
- Add Remote Network Address Mapping in HTTP Upgrade Transport (Draft: Add Remote Network Address Mapping in HTTP Upgrade Transport (!17) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / WebTunnel · GitLab) (Continue)
- Release new version of snowflake
- Merge request reviews
- Continued updating dependencies, including:
- aes-gcm: Update Rust crate aes-gcm to 0.10 (!35) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / lox-rs · GitLab
- base64: Update Rust crate base64 to v0.21.4 (!36) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / lox-rs · GitLab
- found issues with zkp library and am working on determining how to best handle those going forward, fixes are required to keep other dalek-cryptography libraries up to date: [WIP] Upgrading several dalek dependencies and rand (!51) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / lox-rs · GitLab
- Started on adding metrics
- Update rdsys API at the /resources endpoint to meet the needs of Lox
- Continue with adding metrics
\(long term things were discussed at the meeting\!\):
- brainstorming grouping strategies for Lox buckets (of bridges) and gathering context on how types of bridges are distributed/use in practice
Question: What makes a bridge usable for a given user, and how can we encode that to best ensure we're getting the most appropriate resources to people?
1. Are there some obvious grouping strategies that we can already consider?
e.g., by pt, by bandwidth (lower bandwidth bridges sacrificed to open-invitation buckets?), by locale (to be matched with a requesting user's geoip or something?)
2. Does it make sense to group 3 bridges/bucket, so trusted users have access to 3 bridges (and untrusted users have access to 1)? More? Less?
GPG Fingerprint 3CC3 F8CC E9D0 A92F A108 38EF 156A 6435 430C 2036