[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2023-06-15

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad




Next meeting: Thursday, June 15 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.

== Links to Useful documents ==

 \* Our anti\-censorship roadmap:
     \* Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards
 \* The anti\-censorship team's wiki page:
     \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home
 \* Past meeting notes can be found at:
     \* https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
 \* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:
     \* All needs review tickets:
         \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
     \* Sponsor 96 <\-\- meskio, shell, onyinyang, cohosh
         \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24
     \* Sponsor 139 <\-\- hackerncoder, irl, joydeep, meskio, emmapeel working on it
         \* https://pad.riseup.net/p/sponsor139-meeting-pad

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

 \* Documents for bridge operators about how to run a webtunnel bridge \(Updated Jun 15\)
     \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/webtunnel/-/merge_requests/11
     \* we'll encourage bridge operators to run webtunnel bridges in the next Relay operators meetup \(June 24th\)
     \* we'll have the documentation of how to run a webtunnel bridge in the README for now and move it in the future to the community portal
     \* shell will prepare a presentation for the relay operators meeting

 \* Conjure user feedback: https://forum.torproject.org/t/call-for-testers-help-the-tor-project-to-test-conjure-on-tor-browser-alpha/7815
     \* Need help: https://forum.torproject.org/t/call-for-testers-help-the-tor-project-to-test-conjure-on-tor-browser-alpha/7815/14?u=gus

== Actions ==


== Interesting links ==


== Reading group ==

 \* We will discuss "" on
     \* Questions to ask and goals to have:
         \* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
         \* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
         \* Are there long\-term actions we can take based on this work?
         \* Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

This week:
- What you worked on this week.
Next week:
- What you are planning to work on next week.
Help with:
- Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2023-06-15
Last week:
- mostly finished reproducible builds of lox client and js bindings
- https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/715
- debugged and wrote a patch for the cert error on older versions of android
- Let's Encrypt "DST Root X3" root expiration affects old Android clients accessing broker (#40087) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- more work on shadow simulations for snowflake
This week:
- tidy up and share shadow simulations guide for PTs
- Lox tor browser integration
- conjure maintenance
Needs help with:

dcf: 2023-06-08
Last week:
- snowflake CDN bookkeeping Changes · Snowflake costs · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
- commented on the snowflake tests with and without padding in China (which did not show signs of high packet loss this time) Analysis of speed deficiency of Snowflake in China, 2023 Q1 (#40251) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
Next week:
- open issue to have snowflake-client log whenever KCPInErrors is nonzero Deploy snowflake-server for QueuePacketConn buffer reuse fix (#40260) (#40262) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- parent: Improve bug discovery process (#40267) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
- open issue to disable /debug endpoint on snowflake broker
Help with:

meskio: 2023-06-15
Last week:
- work on i18n support in rdsys (rdsys#11)
- review webtunnel docker MRs (webtunnel!10 webtunnel!11)
- review adding last passed metadata to resources in rdsys (rdsys!131)
- review LE pinning in snowflake (snowflake!151)
Next week:
- add i18n support in rdsys (rdsys#11)

Shelikhoo: 2023-06-15
Last Week:
- [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64) (stalled)
- [Research] HTTPT Planning Add HTTPT as a pluggable transport to Tor Browser (#1) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / HTTPT · GitLab
- Research about designing an armored bridge line sharing URL format (Research about designing an armored bridge line sharing URL format (#126) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab)
- Webtunnel Document for bridge operators(container setup) (Add Dockerlized Server Setup Document for WebTunnel (!11) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / WebTunnel · GitLab)
Next Week/TODO:
- webtunnel document for proxy operator <- finish it
- logcollector alert system <- immediate todo
- [Research] WebTunnel planning (Continue)
- Try to find a place to host another vantage point
- Snowflake Performance Analysis

onyinyang: 2023-06-15
Last week:
- finished lox-distributor tests
- reorganized more things within lox-rs (i.e., moving helper files etc. into lox_utils, adding documentation, pipelines, etc.)
- tweaked the `gone` resources from rdsys, so that the lox-distributor can handle them appropriately

 This week:
     \- Looking into a more reasonable way of storing Lox library data structures:
              \- https://gitlab.torproject.org/onyinyang/lox/-/issues/2
          \- https://gitlab.torproject.org/onyinyang/lox/-/issues/3
          \- First changing the vectors in the bridge\_table to maps with lookup by bridge fingerprint\.
 \(long term things were discussed at the meeting\!\):

- brainstorming grouping strategies for Lox buckets (of bridges) and gathering context on how types of bridges are distributed/use in practice.
Question: What makes a bridge useable for a given user, and how can we encode that to best ensure we're getting the most appropriate resources to people?
1. Are there some obvious grouping strategies that we can already consider?
e.g., by pt, by bandwidth (lower bandwidth bridges sacrificed to open-invitation buckets?), by locale (to be matched with a requesting user's geoip or something?)
2. Does it make sense to group 3 bridges/bucket, so trusted users have access to 3 bridges (and untrusted users have access to 1)? More? Less?

Itchy Onion: 2023-06-08
Last week:
- fixed snowflake pipeline due to outdated Debian image
- continue working on rdsys#56 implementation. Still need to do the following:
- finish up computing bridge distribution in Kraken
- does it have to be deterministic?
- does the disproportion have to be strictly followed
- finish writing tests
- refactor code because some functions are getting extremely long
- what to do with stencil package?
This week:
- review MRs
- continue working on rdsys#56 implementation. Still need to do the following:
- fixed a problem with vanilla bridges not being added properly to the database
- still working on tests
- adding a migaration patch (Consider persistent storage of bridge information (#56) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / rdsys · GitLab)

hackerncoder: 2023-04-20
last week:
- (py-)ooni-exporter torsf (snowflake)
- (py-)ooni-exporter web_connectivity
Next week:
- work on "bridgetester"?
- how does Iran block bridges?


GPG Fingerprint 3CC3 F8CC E9D0 A92F A108 38EF 156A 6435 430C 2036

1 Like