[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2023-02-23

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:

And our meeting pad:




Next meeting: Thursday, March 02 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.

== Links to Useful documents ==

Our anti-censorship roadmap:

Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

The anti-censorship team’s wiki page:


Past meeting notes can be found at:


Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:

All needs review tickets:


Sponsor 28

must-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10

possible-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None

Sponsor 96


Sponsor 139 ← hackerncoder, irl, joydeep, meskio, emmapeel working on it


== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

What is the status of activating the snowflake-02 bridge in Orbot?

snowflake-01 is still pretty much saturated, and snowflake-02 relatively almost unused

no news yet from Orbot on status of deployment

latest Orbot release was 2023-01-13

will add to S96 agenda and discuss in 2 weeks (On March 2rd) if they are not around

forking obfs4proxy, a new name?


rdsys is using onbasca to measure bridge bandwidth


bridgestrap is reporing most bridges as non-functional

looks similar to an old issue: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgestrap/-/issues/7

rdsys can handle the situation and will not be a big problem if is not fixed fast

== Actions ==

meskio will write a survival guide on onbasca

move the ampcache snowflake fallback forward

== Interesting links ==


continued sporadic blocking of cdn.sstatic.net in Iran



== Reading group ==

We will discuss “Detecting Tor Bridge from Sampled Traffic in Backbone Networks” on March 9


Questions to ask and goals to have:

What aspects of the paper are questionable?

Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

This week:

  • What you worked on this week.
    Next week:

  • What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

  • Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2023-02-16
Last week:

dcf: 2023-02-16

Last week:

Next week:

Help with:

meskio: 2023-02-23
Last week:

  • integrate onbasca into rdsys to test bridge speed (rdsys#150)
  • deploy onbasca in polyanthum
  • patch onbasca API to be easier to parse (onbasca!60)
  • investigate bridgestrap issue, is reporting 30% of functional bridges
    Next week:
  • Vacation!!!

Shelikhoo: 2023-02-16
Last Week:

Next Week:

  • [Research] WebTunnel planning (Continue)

  • Try to find a place to host another vantage point

  • WebTunnel @ TorBrowser mobile

onyinyang: 2023-02-23
Last week:

  • Lox wasm bindings for Tor integration:

  • encrypted bridge table (this took longer than expected due to confusion about needing to implement deserialize)

  • level up
    This week:

  • continuing with bindings for the rest of the Lox protocols:

  • issue invitation

  • check blockage

  • blockage migration
    Help with:

  • questions about best way to handle timing for freshness credentials (fresh for x time period or fresh until x time each day)

Itchy Onion: 2023-02-23
Last week:

  • Continue working on issue #40108 (standalone proxy bind specific IP)

  • Created issue #40252 (NAT probetest for standalone proxy)

  • Foci

  • Work on updating snowflake plugin for the latest race version (code freeze on Friday)

This week:

  • Holiday

  • Contine working on issue #40252 (NAT probetest for standalone proxy)

hackerncoder: 2023-02-23
last week:

  • work on monitoring bridges health
    Next week:
  • getting ooni-exporter to work with torsf (snowflake)
  • work on “bridgetester”?

cece: 2022-12-22
This week:

  • working on creating a dummy WhatsApp bot
    Next week:

  • My bot is not yet working as expected s? still trying to figure that out
    Help with:

  • resources