[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2022-06-09

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:
#tor-meeting: tor anti-censorship meeting <#tor-meeting: tor anti-censorship meeting>

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad



Next meeting: Thursday June 16nd 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

 \* Our anti\-censorship roadmap:
     \* Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards
 \* The anti\-censorship team&#39;s wiki page:
     \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home
 \* Past meeting notes can be found at:
     \* https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
 \* Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
     \* All needs review tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
     \* Sponsor 28
         \* must\-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10
         \* possible tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None
     \* Sponsor 96
         \* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24

== Announcements ==

 \* anti\-censorship irc channel: \#tor\-anticensorship @ irc\.oftc\.net

== Discussion ==

 \* Add an alert for dynamic bridges healthness\(src Shell\)
 \* Internet filtering in Canada: \\R\\o\\g\\e\\r\\s&#39; NHL blocking order \(src Shell\)
     \* https://typefully.com/kaplanmyrth/internet-filtering-in-canada-rogers-nhl-TPEqjeU
     \* https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31677867
     \* cecylia, itchy: reproducible?
 \* Request for review: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/trac/-/issues/40001#note_2809890

 \* Need comments in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/82 \(add PT support to V2Ray to serve the role of HTTPT\)

== Actions ==


== Interesting links ==

== Reading group ==

 \* We will discuss &quot;Even Censors Have a Backup: Examining China&#39;s Double HTTPS Censorship Middleboxes&quot; on June 23
     \* https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3473604.3474559
     \* Questions to ask and goals to have:
         \* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
         \* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
         \* Are there long\-term actions we can take based on this work?
         \* Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

This week:
- What you worked on this week.
Next week:
- What you are planning to work on next week.
Help with:
- Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2022-06-09
Last week:
- reviews
- opened MR for gotapdance library to redirect log output
- Add library function to set logger output by cohosh · Pull Request #89 · refraction-networking/gotapdance · GitHub
- finished getting conjure registrations working in a local test environment
This week:
- continued work on conjure PT
- continue snowflake maintenance tasks
Needs help with:

dcf: 2022-06-09
Last week:
- prepared information for snowflake bridge funding report for May 2022
Next week:
- look at STATUS VERSION proposal Add STATUS VERSION message for PT protcol (!63) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Core / Tor Specifications · GitLab
Help with:

meskio: 2022-06-02
Last week:
- use systemd to run bridgedb (team#72)
- update debian package for snowflake (snowflake#40143)
- don't use entropy in snowflake tests (snowflake!96)
- contact cymru about their builtin bridges, as they have an old version of obfs4proxy
Next week:
- start working on gettor (rdsys#105)

Shelikhoo: 2022-06-09
Last Week:
- [Merge Request] Add Distributed Snowflake Server Support (snowflake!87) <- awaiting/blocked
- [Merge Request] Distributed Snowflake Bridges (Javascript ver.) (snowflake-webext!29) <- awaiting/blocked
- [Merge Request] Implement metrics to measure snowflake churn (Implement metrics to measure snowflake churn (#34075) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab) (snowflake!95) <- awaiting/blocked
- [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64)
- [Discussion & Deployment] Migrating Controlling git repo to Tor Gitlab Instance (shelikhoo/LogCollectorAncillary#5) <- awaiting/blocked
- [Research & Discussion] Discussion about the possibility of adding PT support to V2Ray to serve the role of HTTPT (Discussion about the possibility of adding PT support to V2Ray to serve the role of HTTPT (#82) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab)
- [Security Research & Analysis] *!#/Confidential/#!* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/84#note_2811303
- [Merge Request Review] Draft: Use systemd unit services to run the daemons Draft: Use systemd unit services to run the daemons (!7) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / bridgedb-admin · GitLab
- [Merge Request Review] Draft: API to update dynamic bridges Draft: API to update dynamic bridges (!41) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / rdsys · GitLab
Next Week:
- [Coding] Distributed Snowflake Bridges (continue)
- [Coding & Deployment] Proposal: Centralized Probe Result Collector (anti-censorship/team#54)
- [Research & Coding] WebSocket + CDN Based Probe Control Connection Forwarder (shelikhoo/LogCollectorAncillary#3)
- [Investigate] China "Anti-Fraud" Webpage Redirection Censorship (censorship-analysis#40026): update the research based on updated ooni result

Itchy Onion: 2022-06-09
Last week:
- continue working on snowflake !93 (add tests)
- ongoing debugging s28 issue 81 (race conditions in broker)
This week:
- ongoing debugging s28 issues 81, there seems to be another issue
- taking over testing snowflake in s28 because the original group couldn't run snowflake