Tails: looping in "Automatic Boot in 4,3,2,1 seconds " (Tails 6.1 and 6.3)

Hello,

Version 6.1 and 6.3 do fail to boot with the following message:

Automatic Boot in 4,3,2,1 seconds (looping again and again)

My first idea was that this could probably be a Ventoy issue, but the same does happen if tails-amd64-6.3.iso is burned to a real DVD.

The downlaoded Tails-Iso was sucessfully veryfied on Tails - Burning Tails on a DVD
(step 2 of 3)

Any idea whats going wrong?

Thank’s in advance!

1 Like

Hey Harry,

I assume you are trying to boot from USB? Here are some more things you could try:

• Have you checked if there are known issues with your hardware/software?
  • Make sure BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from the correct device.
  • Can you try different boot modes (UEFI vs. Legacy) to see if affects startup?
  • If you can access the boot options for Tails, see if you can set nomodeset or acpi=off. Maybe there compatibility issues with your hardware, and disabling these could help.
  • Have you tried your boot media on different computers?
  • Did older versions of Tails work for you?
  • Can you try flashing the USB using a different program? The Tails website recommends Balena Etcher (Windows/Mac) or dd (Linux).

That’s all I’ve got for now. Hope that helps! If it doesn’t, can you give more details about your system, how you created the boot media, what you have tried, etc?

2 Likes

I assume you’re trying to boot from a USB? Here are a few additional steps you could try: Check for any known hardware or software issues, ensure your BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from the correct device, and try switching between UEFI and Legacy boot modes. You can also access Tails’ boot options and set nomodeset or acpi=off to address potential compatibility issues. Test your boot media on different computers to rule out hardware-specific problems, and see if older versions of Tails work for you. Additionally, try flashing the USB using a different program, such as Balena Etcher for Windows/Mac or dd for Linux. If none of these steps help, please provide more details about your system, how you created the boot media, and what you’ve already tried.

2 Likes

Thank’s to all of you for the help! I started with the most easy suggested troubleshooting step:

Flashing Tails6.3 to USB with Balena Etcher and voilà, Tails 6.3 does successfullyboot/work :slight_smile:

• Even the problem is fixed now, I am wondering if the Tails-devs did use different remastering-approaches in the past, because they(Tails) behave differently, if started/booted from a Ventoy built USB stick (Ventoy) …

Thanks’ again for the promt help!!

PS

• the same boot-looping problem did already happend with some version 5 releases of Tails
    (on my Ventoy stick)

ohh…! it’s Good …