Tails 6.0 bug: clicking in "password" boxes on websites causes "en" in panel to disappear

BTW: This was reported via email to Tails official private support email address a little over a week ago, but I didn’t receive a reply. This is not a “support” request, just a “heads up” for people who use Tails 6.0 and an item for discussion here. Should this particular “bug” be located a Tails website via bug ticket or such please post the link(s) here for discussion, TY.

Tails 6.0 has an easily reproducible bug where when you click in the “password” box on just about any website, to register or login, the “en” in the top right panel part of the screen will disappear and the following error is shown in ‘journalctl’ and repeats:[1]

amnesia gnome-shell[#####]: The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:

amnesia gnome-shell[#####]: > Warning: Unsupported maximum keycode 708, clipping.

amnesia gnome-shell[#####]: > X11 cannot support keycodes above 255.

amnesia gnome-shell[#####]: Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

amnesia gnome-shell[#####]: > Warning: Unsupported maximum keycode 708, clipping.

[1] removed date/time and numbers in boxes

When one then clicks anywhere else outside of the password box, the “en” reappears in the panel at the top right.

If you are also experiencing this bug, please reply in this thread and to the official Tails support team at their support website or by using Whisperback. Thank you.

Edit: If you’re using another language other than English and the “en” isn’t there but instead two letter code for your language AND this bug works or doesn’t work for you, please post. TY

:poultry_leg:

1 Like

I received a kind reply to my reported issue! :partying_face:

You can help!

If anyone would be kind enough to test Tor Browser on whatever distro, maybe the distro you’re using now, if it has Gnome, this is a quick and easy bug to check for and I’d appreciate any responses.

I will reference this thead with your generous posts in the bug report, should one be filed. I’ll also try and remember to post a link here to the bug report URL.

Thank you so much.

:poultry_leg: