Sudden Surge in Relay Bandwidth

Hello fellow onion friends,

looking at the bandwidth graph, we can observe a sudden surge in total available bandwidth from ~750 Gbit/s to ~1 TB/s; an increase of roughly one third within a few days! This sudden increase does not align with the number of running relays, which hasn’t changed much in the recent past.

Do you think this could be related to a bug introduced in Tor version 0.4.8.7?

I don’t want to spread FUD, which is why I will not publicly state the first assumption that came to my mind when looking at the graph :wink:

Looking forward to your replies!

RadicalPrivacy via Tor Project Forum:

Hello fellow onion friends,

looking at the bandwidth graph, we can observe a sudden surge in total available bandwidth from ~750 Gbit/s to ~1 TB/s; an increase of roughly one third within a few days! This sudden increase does not align with the number of running relays, which hasn’t changed much in the recent past.

Do you think this could be related to a bug introduced in Tor version 0.4.8.7?

I am not convinced of that theory yet. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to spread FUD, which is why I will not publicly state the first assumption that came to my mind when looking at the graph :wink:

Looking forward to your replies!

There are a bunch of things spiking (again) currently:

and then there is:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2023-October/021357.html

(which essentially points out that Tor Browser 13 with 0.4.8.7 launched
last week which will result in a significant rise of Conflux circuits).

So, not sure yet what’s happening. We need more data and more analysis. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

wyVt78pWBTpJnYt via Tor Project Forum:

Could you tell me more about this?
My onion service became painfully slow on the exact same day that traffic jumped to 1 TB/s
I have like 20k private hidden services none of them has any issue but only one of them became slow, the public one
I’m under some sort of attack but I can’t figure out how to stop it

Have you set up some onion service monitoring to see what exactly is
happening? Is your CPU overloaded or your bandwidth exhausted or…?

Anyway, the 0.4.8 Tor series includes a new Proof of Work (PoW) DoS
defense you could try out.

See:

for more details and the HiddenServicePoWDefensesEnabled torrc option
(see: man tor for details).

Another question: There are a bunch of spikes related to onion services
traffic visible since 09/2023:

https://metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-rend-v3-relayed-cells.html

Are all (any of them) correlated to your onion service being slow?

It could be something to do with a crypto project named ATOR which has gained significant traction within some crypto communities in recent weeks. I read a claim a few days ago that they are responsible for running 15% of relays. Their activities seem a bit concerning.

1 Like

Getting close to the all time record of onion service traffic. Either there’s a bug in the recent version of Tor or somebody’s trying to take the network down.

4 Likes

2 Likes