Password creation

Hi, Can you help me create a password that allows access to Tor Browser outside of my session password for my computer. Thanks. Sincerely

1 Like

I am confused. You are trying to use tor browser on your computer without logging into your computer?

If you want to do that, maybe use Tails on a usb stick? Or maybe create an account on your computer that does not require a password to log in.

1 Like

Hi,
I connect to my computer with a password but I would like to create a password while I am logged in on my computer to prevent people around me
from using Tor Browser. In other words, how to protect opening Tor Browser with a password. Sincerely

Envoyé: lundi 3 juin 2024 à 18:51

···

De: “Zhk2stsf via Tor Project Forum” noreply@forum.torproject.org
Ă€: issapel02@gmx.fr
Objet: [Tor Project Forum] [Support] Password creation

| Zhk2stsf
June 3 |

• | - |

I am confused. You are trying to use tor browser on your computer without logging into your computer?

If you want to do that, maybe use Tails on a usb stick? Or maybe create an account on your computer that does not require a password to log in.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Hey Bobinovich,

I am not sure I understand. If you are sitting at your computer, how could someone else open the Tor browser? Wouldn’t they have to push you out of the way?

Anyway, to protect opening Tor browser with a password, can you tell us your operating system? That will inform what options you might have to accomplish this. :slight_smile:

T

1 Like

Hi,

I have a Mac with Sonoma version 14.5 Thank you for your help. :+1:

Envoyé: mardi 4 juin 2024 à 20:07

···

De: “Tangerine via Tor Project Forum” noreply@forum.torproject.org
Ă€: issapel02@gmx.fr
Objet: [Tor Project Forum] [Support] Password creation

| Tangerine
June 4 |

• | - |

Hey Bobinovich,

I am not sure I understand. If you are sitting at your computer, how could someone else open the Tor browser? Wouldn’t they have to push you out of the way?

Anyway, to protect opening Tor browser with a password, can you tell us your operating system? That will inform what options you might have to accomplish this. :slight_smile:

T

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Full disclosure, I am not a Mac user. But after some cursory research I found a few options that you can explore. I don’t know which is best, though…

• Create an encrypted volume using something like VeraCrypt. Install Tor browser within that volume. That way, you have to enter a password to un-encrypt the volume before you can run Tor browser.
  • Set up Screen Time so that you need to enter a password to use Tor browser. If that is not possible, maybe set it up with a super short time limit (1 minute?) so that you have to enter a password to use it longer than that.
  • Use third-party software like Cisdem AppCrypt to require a password to run Tor browser.

Again, I am not saying which of these is best, or if they will even work. These are just some ideas you can explore and try out. I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Tangerine. I think the easiest solution for me would be to use an external hard drive. :blush:

1 Like