Obfs4 not taking users

What’s the problem with two of my obfs4 bridges?

1 month old obfs4 bridge

1year old obfs4 bridge

It seems they are not taking any users …

2 Likes

I notice the date that users stop connecting is around January 1st. Your server may have experienced an issue with the leap year, so ensure the time is still correctly set on it.

They get some traffic so you can assume they also get used. This is probably a problem with the Metrics Website or the underlying data collection and not with your bridges.
Assuming you use linux you could look into /var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats to verify that you get some users.

2 Likes

The graph is same like 28 days when i have posted first (no data available for the number of users)

@jarl

/var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats sees some users :slight_smile:

NL:

bridge-stats-end 2024-05-28 20:55:03 (86400 s)
bridge-ips de=8,us=8
bridge-ip-versions v4=8,v6=8
bridge-ip-transports =8,obfs4=8

MD

bridge-stats-end 2024-05-28 16:58:41 (86400 s)
bridge-ips ch=8,de=8,fi=8,mx=8,us=8
bridge-ip-transports =16,obfs4=8

Both bridges have ~60days uptime and just something between 2.5-3GB of traffic.

@FranklyFlawless - MD server had time set correctly to Chisinau, NL server had time put in UTC i corrected now and set it to Europe/Brussels hence i didn’t find Europe/Amsterdam in mine timezone list :slight_smile:

1 Like

What happens when you restart the tor daemon?

I updated now from 4.8.10 to 4.8.11 this implied also a daemon reset on both nodes. Let’s see what happens in the next 48hours

1 Like

Obfs4 bridges work very unstable and unpredictable for me. Some of obfs4 bridges slowdown my browsing experience in Tor and some of obfs4 bridges suddenly stop working after an undefined period of time. Is it my ISP blocking obfs4 bridges or bridges’ operators are unstable?

1 Like

obfs4 is designed to circumvent and obfuscate your initial connection to the Tor network:

If you are able to successfully connect using them but experience instability issues, you may want to try a different one until your situation improves.

This is a lost cause.

The stats for the last 8 days only ~500mbps of down and ~300 of up traffic
And output from /var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats can be seen below.

MD:

bridge-stats-end 2024-06-07 12:54:47 (86400 s)
bridge-ips de=8,ru=8,us=8

ND:

bridge-stats-end 2024-06-07 12:54:04 (86400 s)
bridge-ips de=8,mq=8,us=8

So MD will be transformed in a Relay and NL will be closed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Okay, other than updating tor to the latest stable version, try another separate hosting plan from the same provider and see if the issue persists.

1 Like