New Release: Tor Browser 13.0.7

by richard | December 19, 2023

Tor Browser 13.0.7 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This version includes important security updates to Firefox.

This release updates Firefox to 115.6.0esr, tor to 0.4.8.10 and NoScript to 11.4.29. In addition, it also includes some bug fixes (see changelog for details).

Send us your feedback

If you find a bug or have a suggestion for how we could improve this release, please let us know.

Full changelog

The full changelog since Tor Browser 13.0.6 is:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1307
2 Likes

Tor Browser 13.0.7 is botched release. It doesn’t works properly on a Windows 7 - it throws “tor.exe stopped working” error all the time. I tried reinstalling it multiple times with the same outcome. Previous versions (including 13.0.6) works fine, though.

P.S. No I don’t need your advice to update to Windows 10/11 : what for? To get the inferior OS that works many times slower, consumes many time more resources, and overfilled with spyware? No, thanks. I’m good.

TB 13.0.8 will be released later today to fix some compatibility issues with Windows 7 related to plugable transports.

Security updates? You’re missing hundreds of them at this point. You might be better off with using a Linux distro.

1 Like

Could you please perhaps recommend a good Linux distro for privacy and security focused users? I know tor supports tails but its not functional for daily use and I heard it contains proprietary closed source software which could have backdoors.

1 Like

I’m not a linux expert nor widely linux savvy - but some are definitely more of a learning curve than others or serve specific purposes. If you want to just test/try some out in a virtual machine - I use https://www.osboxes.org/ + VMWare for testing (so … VMware Images )

I don’t think you can go wrong with Debian or Fedora or Ubuntu (Linux Mint is/was well known). As for privacy/security IMO they’re all much the same at a base threat level (and anything supported is better than windows 7)

Give em a try in a VM before a final decision :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, I use Qubes OS/Qubes-Whonix, but I am also aware of ParrotOS. Neither of them are as user-friendly as Tails, so I suggest thoroughly reading their respective documentations before you consider trusting them. Otherwise, I use PureOS (Debian-derivative) on my Librem 5 USA, which is recommended and endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.

List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

I remember people saying Mint is the most Windows like version of Linux meaning more familiarity than some of the others. Back around 2010 I tried Ubuntu and found it surprisingly easy, so much so that I made it my main OS, apparently Amazon have added code into the system since then and that causes a few people to consider it a no longer secure version of Linux, would you happen to know if that is actually true?

I have looked into this option a few years back but found that you need a pretty large amount of RAM in order for it to work, I only use cheap secondhand laptops for security stuff as I wouldn’t want to spend hundreds on a decent spec machine, have some paranoia scare and feel that I need to throw it away.

I will look into PureOS though as I’ve seen some good things about it although also a few people saying compatible software is usually updated for other systems before PureOS gets the same updates.

1 Like

Sure, Qubes OS has strict hardware requirements in addition to being resource-hungry, so it is not for everyone. PureOS is usually a codename release behind Debian, but you can use the rolling release instead (Crimson) to match the current Debian stable.

1 Like