New Alpha Release: Tor Browser 13.5a2

by richard | November 28, 2023

Tor Browser 13.5a2 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This release updates Firefox to 115.5.0esr, including bug fixes, stability improvements and important security updates. We also backported the Android-specific security updates from Firefox 120.

The full changelog since Tor Browser 13.5a1 is:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/new-alpha-release-tor-browser-135a2

Has this been leaking URLs for eight years on Linux?

I think there is also a separate list of downloaded file names (not URLs) on Linux in Browser/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

This doesn’t seem to fixed in 13.5a2 (or at least not removed by 13.5a2, if they are left over from an earlier version)

Can anyone confirm?

This doesn’t seem to fixed in 13.5a2 (or at least not removed by 13.5a2, if they are left over from an earlier version)

Thanks for the heads up.
I’d like to ask you some questions to troubleshoot this: please answer directly on the gitlab issue if possible, otherwise the way which works best for you.

1. Is the path of those files consistent with the actual Tor Browser 13.5a2 installation/profile location as seen by navigating to about:profiles?
  2. If it is, can you still observe those leftover files after exiting and relaunching Tor Browser 13.5a2
  3. If you answered yes to both 1 & 2, could you please try to run the following command (single line) from a terminal in the Browser directory (the parent of the .local subdir) and report its output?
    share_dir=".local/share"; srm -r "$share_dir" || wipe -r "$share_dir" || find "$share_dir" -type f -exec shred -u {} \; ; rm -rf "$share_dir" ; [ -d "$share_dir" ] || echo "$share_dir deleted."

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I can check those soon, but my comment contains a report of a different issue.

The one fixed in 13.5a2 is a leak of downloaded URLs. That fix appears to work. I am reporting a different issue, a leak of filenames (not URLs, as in the fixed issue). The location on disk of this leak is also different to the fixed issue.

I’m waiting for my account on the gitlab to be activated.