It is impossible to launch onion sites from under ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04

I don’t know where exactly to write this, I’ll write it here. It is impossible to launch TOR sites from under ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04. After transferring the domain files (hostname and 2 files with keys) to the root folder with the site and prescribing this address in torrc, after that the tor simply does not start! I change the owner of the files to debian-tor:debian-tor and the rights to 777 also have no effect.
I won’t attach log files, I just don’t have them, because there is NOTHING in /var/log/tor after not starting, I had this problem on 18.04 and 20.04 with all updates, I installed tor in 2 different ways, even on the freshest version does not work. Prior to that, I raised several sites on a Windows server without the slightest problem. So IT’S NOT MY FAULT.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble hosting your sites after moving to a different server/OS. With no logs however, there is really not much to go on for us to help you. Just a shot in the dark:

• Did you follow this guide to set things up?

• Do you have a recommended version of tor installed by adding the tor project’s deb sources as described here? type “tor --version” in your terminal to find out your version

Yes, they answered me in the next topic, I downloaded the latest one. I don’t know anything, the developers shouldn’t have turned off the logs. I went to configure the Windows server, everything starts on the first try and without any bugs / errors / warnings.

root@2it27JdYV5:~# tor --version
Tor version 0.4.6.9.
Tor is running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.11-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1f, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.4, Libzstd 1.4.4 and Glibc 2.31 as libc.
Tor compiled with GCC version 9.3.0

Happy to hear that this worked for you. :slight_smile: