OS = MX Linux Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.24 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm 4.16.1 vt: 7
dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: MX-21.1_x64 Wildflower October 20 2021
base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Tor version = 11.5
Trying to import data from Firefox (Bookmarks, Passwords and History).
menu-Bookmarks-Manage Bookmarks-Import and Export-Import data from another browser.
@sapper531, I believe you won’t be able to import your data, settings and passwords from Firefox into Tor Browser because Tor Browser ships with a number of privacy patches on top of Firefox. Imported preferences can create a conflict with Tor Browser’s settings and potentially make the browser unusable and harm your privacy and anonymity.
That said, you should be able to import your bookmarks from other browsers into Tor Browser though.
Bookmarks can be transferred from Firefox to Tor Browser. There are two ways to export and import bookmarks in Firefox: HTML file or JSON file.
- Hamburger menu >> Bookmarks >> Manage bookmarks (at the bottom of the menu)
- From the toolbar on the Library window, click on ‘Import and Backup’
If you wish to Import bookmarks
- Choose Import Bookmarks from HTML
- Within the Import Bookmarks File window that opens, navigate to the bookmarks HTML file you are importing and select the file.
- Click the Open button. The Import Bookmarks File window will close.
- Close the Library window.
The bookmarks in the selected HTML file will be added to your Tor Browser within the Bookmarks Menu directory.
If you wish to restore from a Backup
(Note: This method will replace all of your existing bookmarks in Tor Browser)
- Choose ‘Restore’ and then select the bookmark file (JSON file) you wish to restore.
- Click okay to the pop up box that appears and hurray, you just restored your backup bookmark.
Nearly the same on Windows - you can import from MS Edge, MS Edge Legacy and MS Internet Explorer, but not from installed Firefox.
Just a guess, the import excludes the own/current browser - Firefox and Tor Browser are treated the same here - from the import.
That’s my assumption too, although I’m guessing as well.