How can a client get a new Tor circuit for a site when using Tor proxy?

Hello,
Once you have set up a Tor proxy server and a client connects to it by changing the browser settings, then how can the client request a new Tor circuit?

Thank you.

Ctrl + Shift + L

This keyboard shortcut changes the Tor circuit used for the site.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
As I said, the client has set the IP address of the Tor server in the browser, something like: 192.168.1.1:9050.
I guess the Ctrl + Shift + L shortcut is for when you use the Tor Browser. Am I right?

1 Like

Correct: I assume when you specify Tor client, that means someone using the Tor Browser.

1 Like

Hello,
As I said, I launched a Tor proxy server and clients use it by set the Socks5 proxy in their browser. In this case, how can clients request a new IP address?

I think there is no way to do that from the browser itself, because the browser isn’t aware that it’s connecting through tor (it just knows it’s using a proxy). You may be interested in this simple Python script (raw) instead.

However, configuring your browser to connect through tor proxy is usually a bad idea, as it makes your fingerprint more unique. You should just use Tor Browser instead.

1 Like

Hello,
In a network with 100 clients, you cannot install Tor Browser on every system. I have some questions:

1- Does every client need to run this python script?

2- When a client executes this script, does the IP address of all clients change?

3- Is there a browser extension for this?

In a network with 100 clients, you cannot install Tor Browser on every system.

We may have an XY problem(1, 2). Installing Tor Browser automatically on multiple systems shouldn’t be very difficult, especially if you already use some kind of script to configure automatically all the browsers. For example, in Debian you can just run something like this (update the link for future Tor Browser versions):

wget http://2gzyxa5ihm7nsggfxnu52rck2vv4rvmdlkiu3zzui5du4xyclen53wid.onion/dist/torbrowser/12.5.4/tor-browser-linux64-12.5.4_ALL.tar.xz -qO - | tar xJf - --directory=desired/tor-browser/path && desired/tor-browser/path/start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app

and something similar can be done for other OSs.

And here’s the actual answers, in case you prefer the proxy way nonetheless.

1- Does every client need to run this python script?

The script must be run on the machine running the tor proxy. If you want to renew the circuit from the machine using a proxy running on a remote one, you must rework the script to connect to the tor instance on the remote machine. Note that you may need some work on firewalls and other network stuff to be able to make such a connection.

2- When a client executes this script, does the IP address of all clients change?

It renews all the circuits, so yes, it does change the exit node of each client.

3- Is there a browser extension for this?

Not that I am aware of.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.