HEVC/H265 support?

I’m using Windows, Tor Browser 15.0.23 and “standard” for the security level. I realized recently that H265/HEVC isn’t supported in Tor Browser, while having been supported in Firefox for a while, I know that codecs can be annoying to deal with, but would there be a way to enable it if you do have the specific codecs?

I tried checking WebCodecs to also enable it since there are ways to transcode videos, but it also doesn’t seem to work with Tor Browser.

What can I do to fix it or make it work? Thanks!

The issue isn’t necessarily with your Windows HEVC codec. Tor Browser has HEVC/H.265 playback disabled, so installing the codec or changing `about:config` settings generally won’t enable it.

The safest options are:

* Update Tor Browser to the latest version.

* Use H.264, VP9, or AV1 video instead of HEVC.

* Avoid forcing HEVC through `about:config`, because custom settings can affect Tor Browser’s privacy and fingerprinting protections.

So, unfortunately, there isn’t a reliable user-side fix for HEVC playback in Tor Browser at the moment.

Yeah I was wondering if there was, or if it’s at least on the roadmap? If I could simply not use them I wouldn’t, but some websites just have hevc videos instead of h264 and it’s not really something I can change, no way to just transcode it through WebCodecs then?