Download Bug in Tor Browser 12.0.7

I’m on Linux, with Tor Browser 12.0.7

I’m trying to download (PDF) files from a site i’ve downloaded from many times before.

• Get a yellow triangle on downloads icon.
  • open it and it says “Downloads blocked from ”
  • click Show more information
  • says “ attempted to automatically download multiple files. The site could be broken or trying to store spam files on your device.”

Options to “Allow Download” or “Remove Files” don’t seem to do anything or change the behavior.

Each time I click a link to download a file from this site I get another message like this. (it worked the first time)

others having same experience as documented here: Download Bug in Tor Browser 12.0.7 : TOR

Also note: New Identity allows me to get the PDF, but is not a good solution.

1 Like

Hey @scallyob, could you test the latest Alpha (12.5a7) and let me know if you encounter the same bug there please?

1 Like

Haven’t been able to reproduce the problem in that version. Also don’t get a pop up asking me what i want to do with download first. So it just opens the pdf right away in the browser, or downloads it to the Downloads folder if it can’t open the file. I think this was maybe how older versions worked?

2 Likes

Haven’t been able to reproduce the problem in that version.

Great, thanks @scallyob!

Also don’t get a pop up asking me what i want to do with download first. So it just opens the pdf right away in the browser, or downloads it to the Downloads folder if it can’t open the file. I think this was maybe how older versions worked?

Well spotted, we’ve revised the UX here to reduce the number of popups by default. A new stable version including this update should be coming out soon, so it looks like this problem may fix itself.

However just in case, I’ve opened a ticket to track the issue here:

1 Like

Belated update: we traced the bug back to " Download Spam Protection" – a Firefox feature we enabled in 12.0.7. However the fix isn’t trivial, and it looks like changes are coming to this feature from upstream in Firefox ESR 115, so we’ve disabled it again in Tor Browser 12.5 for the time being.

More background can be found in this ticket:

Thanks again for reporting the issue!

2 Likes