A question about MaxCircuitDirtiness option

Hello,
If the MaxCircuitDirtiness option is not specified in the configuration file of the Tor, then the IP address of the Tor will be fixed until it is restarted?

Thank you.

Hello,
I have not used the MaxCircuitDirtiness option in the Tor configuration file. Why does Tor’s IP address change?

Thank you.

if you read tor’s man page, MaxCircuitDirtiness is said to have a default value of 10 minutes.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
But my questions are something else:

1. If the MaxCircuitDirtiness option is not specified in the configuration file of the Tor, then the IP address of the Tor will be fixed until it is restarted?

2. I have not used the MaxCircuitDirtiness option in the Tor configuration file. Why does Tor’s IP address change?

MaxCircuitDirtiness has a default value of 10 minutes. If you haven’t set it, its value is 10 minutes.

Hello,
Thanks again.
So is MaxCircuitDirtiness mandatory? Can’t I stop it?

MaxCircuitDirtiness is required; rotation of circuits (and, as a result, changing the IP address) increases anonymity.

To stop/restrict changing the exit IP address, specify the ExitNodes option with a single exit node IP address or fingerprint. However, if this exit node is unavailable, then you will not be able to connect to TOR.

ExitNodes 185.220.100.243 # IP Address
ExitNodes E8AD8C4FDC3FE152150C005BB2EAA6A0990B74DF # Fingerprint

You can also set the TrackHostExits option indicating, separated by commas, the sites/domains for which the exit node will change through the TrackHostExitsExpire interval. You can specify a single dot (.) as a domain so that the exit node is remembered for each site/domain. The remembered exit node is the first exit node that was used the first time you visited a particular site. After tor is restarted, the binding of exit nodes to specific sites is reset.

TrackHostExits forum.torproject.org #site
TrackHostExits .torproject.org  # domain
TrackHostExits . # all sites
TrackHostExitsExpire 3600  # 1 hour
1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.