[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2024-06-13

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2024/tor-meeting.2024-06-13-16.02.html

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship

···

--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday, June 20 16:00 UTC
Facilitator: onyinyang
^^^(See Facilitator Queue at tail)

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

This week's Facilitator: meskio

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.

== Links to Useful documents ==
  * Our anti-censorship roadmap:
    * Roadmap:Development · Boards · Anti-censorship · GitLab
  * The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
    * Home · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
  * Past meeting notes can be found at:
    * The tor-project Archives
  * Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:
    * All needs review tickets:
      * Merge requests · Anti-censorship · GitLab
    * Sponsor 96 <-- meskio, shell, onyinyang, cohosh
      * Sponsor 96: Rapid Expansion of Access to the Uncensored Internet through Tor in China, Hong Kong, & Tibet · The Tor Project · GitLab
    * Sponsor 150 <-- meskio working on it
      * Issues · Anti-censorship · GitLab

== Announcements ==

  * bridges running 0.4.7.x (EOL) were rejected by Serge: [tor-relays] PSA: Rejecting bridges running 0.4.7 (EOL)

== Discussion ==

  * what's the plan for: Investigate why we lost so many snowflake webext proxies and do something about it (#142) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
    * we've lost a lot of webextension snowblake proxies, proably due to people not noticing the new consent page
    * luckily the rise in orbot proxies (probably from the v17 rollout) makes this not as urgent as it otherwise might be
    * cohosh is working on this issue

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

  * The censorship circumvention extension has disappeared from the Russian version of Mozilla Addons - Add-on Support - Mozilla Discourse
    * Several proxy Firefox extensions are blocked in Russia by Mozilla - Browser extensions - NTC
  * Myanmar: [Myanmar] Tor direct connections and bridges usage increase (2024-05-30) (#40043) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / censorship-analysis · GitLab

== Reading group ==
  * We will discuss "" on
    *
    * Questions to ask and goals to have:
      * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
      * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
      * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
      * Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==
Name:
    This week:
      - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
      - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
      - Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): 2024-06-13
  Last week:
      - looked into sharp decline of browser extension proxies
          - Investigate why we lost so many snowflake webext proxies and do something about it (#142) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
      - started experimenting with some fixes for the web extension consent prompt UX
      - FOCI stuff
  This week:
      - snowflake webextension consent prompt UX fixes
      - take a look at shell's mv3 changes
      - take a look at snowflake web and webext translations and best practices
      - make changes to Lox encrypted bridge table
          - Simplify BridgeLine struct and make it variable length (!147) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / lox · GitLab
      - follow up on reported SQS errors
      - update wasm-bindgen fork to fix some bugs and hopefully upstream changes
  Needs help with:

dcf: 2024-06-13
  Last week:
    - azure CDN bookkeeping Changes · Snowflake costs · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
  Next week:
    - review snowflake unreliable+unordered data channels rev2 Draft: Unreliable+unordered WebRTC data channel transport for Snowflake rev2 (!315) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
    - open issue to have snowflake-client log whenever KCPInErrors is nonzero Deploy snowflake-server for QueuePacketConn buffer reuse fix (#40260) (#40262) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
      - parent: Improve bug discovery process (#40267) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
    - open issue to disable /debug endpoint on snowflake broker
    - move snowflake-02 to new VM
Help with:
    - tell me when to restart the brokers for Upgrade snowflake broker machine from Debian 10 (#40349) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab

meskio: 2023-06-13
    Last week:
        - create an rdsys requests metrics puller that produces metrics for collector (rdsys#188)
        - plan with TPA the BridgeDB deprecation (tpa/team#41613)
        - add the new prometheus exporters (tpa/prometheus-alerts!42)
        - in progress of investigate what builtin bridges are offline (team#141)
        - test tor implementation to the STATUS type=version command for PTs (tor!820)
        - fix a bug in ptutil/safeprom registering the metric (ptutil!2)
    Next week:
        - deploy https, moat and email distributors in rdsys
        - investigate what builtin bridges are offline (team#141)

Shelikhoo: 2024-06-06
    Last Week:
        - [Merge Request Waiting] Add Container Image Mirroring from Tor Gitlab to Docker Hub(Add Container Image Mirroring from Tor Gitlab to Docker Hub (!280) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
      - [Merge Request Waiting] Snowflake Performance Improvement rev2 (Draft: Unreliable+unordered WebRTC data channel transport for Snowflake rev2 (!315) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
      - Chrome Manifest V3 transition: Migrate to Manifest V3 (#29) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake WebExtension · GitLab
      - Upgrade snowflake broker machine from Debian 10 (Upgrade snowflake broker machine from Debian 10 (#40349) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
      - Address TTP-03-001 WP1: Snowflake broker vulnerability(TTP-03-001 WP1: Snowflake broker vulnerability (#40329) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
      - Vantage point maintaince
      - merge request processing
        - Merge request reviews
    Next Week/TODO:
        - Merge request reviews
        
onyinyang: 2023-06-06
  Last week(s):
    - Finished key rotation implementation
    - Working toward building tor-browser with lox-wasm binary to help out with
      integration work as needed
    - Preparation for MSR talk
  Next week:
    - MSR talk
    - Work on outstanding milestone issues: Lox Ready for Open Testing Call · Milestones · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / lox · GitLab
      - prepare for end to end testing of the Lox system with browser integration
    Later:
    - begin implementing some preliminary user feedback mechanism to identify bridge blocking based on Vecna's work
    - improve metrics collection/think about how to show Lox is working/valuable
    - sketch out Lox blog post/usage notes for forum
    
  (long term things were discussed at the meeting!): Riseup Pad
    - brainstorming grouping strategies for Lox buckets (of bridges) and gathering context on how types of bridges are distributed/use in practice
      Question: What makes a bridge usable for a given user, and how can we encode that to best ensure we're getting the most appropriate resources to people?
        1. Are there some obvious grouping strategies that we can already consider?
          e.g., by PT, by bandwidth (lower bandwidth bridges sacrificed to open-invitation buckets?), by locale (to be matched with a requesting user's geoip or something?)
        2. Does it make sense to group 3 bridges/bucket, so trusted users have access to 3 bridges (and untrusted users have access to 1)? More? Less?
    
theodorsm: 2023-06-13
    Last weeks:
      - Writing on my thesis
    Next weeks:
      - Add hook to pion/webrtc so it can be used in snowflake, currently waiting on new pion/dtls release
      - Add randomized fingerprints
      - Writing my thesis
    Help with:
      
Facilitator Queue:
    onyinyang shelikhoo meskio
1. First available staff in the Facilitator Queue will be the facilitator for the meeting
2. After facilitating the meeting, the facilitator will be moved to the tail of the queue

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My contact info: https://meskio.net/crypto.txt
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nos vamos a Croatan.