Risks and considerations for bitcoin transactions

Hello,
I have two questions about the Tor network:

1- How can a user be sure that the Tor node he\she is connected to is secure? For example, can governments create Tor nodes (Entry, Relay and Exit) and then eavesdrop on user traffic? If no, how can we be sure?

2- If Tor nodes are safe, then why shouldn’t Tor network be used to send or receive Bitcoin? There have been reports of Bitcoin being stolen from those using the Tor network.

Please answer my questions by number.

Thank you.

Hi, before creating a new topic, please search the Forum for your answer.

1. This was already answered 3 days ago:

If you have questions regarding it, please use that topic to ask your questions.

1. In 2020, there was an exit node operator/attacker that got caught messing up with cryptocurrency exchanges. We covered this bad relay case in detail on the Tor blog.
    As a recommendation: if you are concerned about the security of your cryptocurrency transactions, please consider following these measures
    a) Mitigate the risk by using onion services, which provide end-to-end encryption.
    b) Be caution and don’t use sketchy cryptocurrency exchanges, and avoid using platforms that don’t even set a proper HTTPS connections.
    c) Starting from Tor Browser 11.5 release (July 2022), HTTPS-only mode is enabled by default. It’s crucial not to overlook the “Secure Site Not Available” alert.
1 Like

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
Please answer my question:

How can a user be sure that the Tor node he\she is connected to is secure? For example, can governments create Tor nodes (Entry, Relay and Exit) and then eavesdrop on user traffic? If no, how can we be sure?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.